Play Old DOS games
Any Linux user can play DOS games or use other applications fairly easily by using a DOS emulator called DOSBox. It opens a window where you can enter DOS commands and run applications, much like a virtual machine.
- Install dosbox: sudo apt-get install dosbox
- Open dosbox: Applications > Games > DOSBox Emulator
- Mount the path to your game in dosbox. To mount your home folder, the command is: mount X ~
- Switch to the game folder: X:
- Navigate to the game using: CD [directory name]
- Start the game by typing its name.
Alt-enter will switch to/from fullscreen mode.
Ctrl-F10 will unlock the mouse from the DOSBox screen.
Another option is to use ScummVM instead of DOSBox. ScummVM is an interpreter, rather than an emulator. Since it works differently it may run some programs that don't work in DOSBox.
Was this guide helpful to you? Please see how you can help us.